Friday, April 04, 2008

FO Friday - Arwen is finally done

The elf on a hunt
Look at those rain drops just hanging out.

So Bud came for 2 days of her Spring Break and I roped her into posing in her Cardigan for Arwen / Christmas present 07 / Big Green Monster. I know a few of your have heard me harrumphing about this project and that I was super frustrated because I am so much faster than 3 1/2 months for a sweater. Well I love the results but I really hate knitting those reversible cables. Some people hate twisted ribbing but I have found I love twisted ribbing because it requires less hand movement and I can speed through a project. That alone proves that every pattern has someone who really really loves it while some hate it with a passion.

The elfen godess allowing the rain to kiss her.
The elfen godess allowing the rain to kiss her

Pattern: Cardigan for Arwen by Kate Gilbert Interweave Knits Winter 2006 also on KG's site
Yarn: Knitpicks Swish Worsted 13 skeins (100% Superwash Merino Wool) 50 grams/110 yds
Needles: Knitpicks Harmony US 8

Mods: I lengthened the sweater to 23". I knit the back and BO but the once the fronts had reached the shoulder BO, I unpicked the back BO and did a 3 needle BO. I liked that result so much better. I then knit the sleeves and seamed everything up. Lastly I did the hood all in one piece and then grafted the top together. I wish I had seen this mod because I might have done it instead for an easier fit, but Kate Gilbert does have a new version on her website which she added somethings like sleeve mods and length and has fitting tips.

Facts to remember: I hate reversible cables but love the look. I remember reading an article by Lily Chin about 7 years ago on reversible cables and I thought the idea was genius. I wanted to do all cable projects in reversible cables. Well loving the idea and actually doing them is two different stories. I now have done them and I still love the idea but not sure if I ever want to do them again. I still am intrigued by the Inside Outside socks from the STR 2007 sock club.

I also need to remember that I might know that the measurement is right and will fit the person but they might like some ease in the sleeve. My SIL is a 13" bicep circumference and it is a bit snug. It is great with a tank on but anything with sleeves creates arm bumps. This is also something I need to be better about in my patterns. I think I add enough ease to the sleeves and at times they are just right. (I also suspect that CYC bicep measurements are a bit slim)

Things I Love: The cables, the hood, the length and well how cute she looks in the sweater I decided to knit her Thanksgiving of 2006 because what would any teenager who loved the Lord of the Rings, taught herself elvish (reading, writing and speaking) and has several movie replicas of Arwen want, but this cardigan.

Reaction of the recipient: She loved it and it fit perfectly after a good blocking. Thank goodness for gauge swatches that don't lie. Yes you read that. I did a swatch and it did not lie.


Go away stupid rain
The rain was being annoying and would not stop till like 10 minutes after we left.