Saturday, January 05, 2008

No-More-Humdrum Mittens Swap 2 Questionaire


How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? I have been knitting for over ten years. I learned to knit from an old Pakistani grandmother while I was home in Saudi Arabia on Christmas break. My mom had known that I was interested in knitting and so she found someone for me. My mom was so good to always find someone to teach me handicrafts that she did not know. That is how I learned tatting and crochet. I think I only had 2 lessons because after that it all made sense and I have been teaching myself since then. My first official project was a colorwork hat and mitts that I thought I could do since the pattern stated beginner. Because I did not know better, on that first colorwork project, I held each color in a different hand.


Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I would consider myself between intermediate and advanced.


What are your favorite colors?
I love orange, red, browns and greens of all shades.

Any you dislike? I hate pink (all shades). I have issues with non red based purple. I prefer wine, burgundy and deep eggplant colors if you add any purple.


Do you like Latvian type patterns?
I don't have any that I have done. Actually I don't have any mitten knitting books. I mostly have sock and sweater books.


Do you desire mittens for yourself, your "special someone else" or your child?
Myself
What is the measurement from your wrist to the tip of your longest finger?
7 ½ inches
What is the circumference of your hand at it's widest point?
7 1/8 inches not including my thumb. 8 ¼ inches including my thumb.


What other things do you enjoy knitting?
I knit mostly adult size sweaters.
What sort of needles do you enjoy working with? (straights vs circs, bamboo vs aluminum)
I prefer wood or bamboo needles. Right now I am in love with the Knitpick's Harmony needles. For small circumferences I have liked knitting with DPNs but recently I have been knitting everything magic loop. It allows me to knit socks so much faster. I still enjoy knitting with DPNs.


What’s one project you’ve not yet tried but are dying to make?
Deep V Argyle Vest by Eunny Jang. I really want to do this for the steeking and I would so live in this sweater most of the winter.


What’s one yarn you’ve not yet tried but are dying to work with?
I really love indie yarn dyers. Right now I have a soft spot for all yarns that are not sock weight. I have amassed a large collection of sock yarn but if you want to get me sock yarn. I am dying to try Louet Gems solid color, Scout, Wollmeise, Yarn Pirate, and See Jayne Knit


What other hobbies do you have? Do you spin? Sew? Garden? Cook?
Hobbies. Since knitting was my hobby and is now more of a job, my other interests are starting to pop up again. I have a spinning wheel but it is at a fellow bloggers house. I just don't have time to spend doing it daily to get back in the groove. I sew a lot. I am trying to sew more clothing for myself. I draft most of my own sewing patterns so that they fit me perfectly. I like gardening, but last year was just not the year for my green thumb. I think I had more of a brown thumb. This year might be better. I started forcing bulbs right before Christmas, they are going very well. I am also currently looking for the perfect bit of greenery for my almost no light but very moist bathroom. I killed the cactus that I bought as an experiment. Now cooking was/is my other great love. I used to have a food blog before I started blogging about my fiber arts. 2007 kind of zapped my desire to cook. Hopefully it comes back this year. Last year was just not the year for me to focus on my normal things.


Besides yarn, do you collect anything?
Yarn, Fabric and Cookbooks? Do those count? If not I have a small grouping of classy lizards and frogs.


What kind of goodies do you enjoy? Sweets? Salty? Anything you hate or are allergic to?
I really like salty things and peanuty things. I am allergic to a lot of chocolates and other things because if they are made in the US they usual contain glycerin or paraffin wax. I can tell instantly upon bitting into the chocolate if it will make me sick.


Do you have any kids? Pets?
I currently have no kids. We have 2 dogs – Frankie: a lab/pug mix and Lexi: a pure dapple doxie and a rabbit called Mr. Bun.


What is your favorite part of Winter?
The snow. I love going on winter hikes in the snow.


What is your least favorite part of Winter?
Driving in the snow or having a hard time warming up.