Monday, May 14, 2007

Weekend Wrap-up - the baby edition

Its been a interesting week. I left ya'll last week with the sock and his adventures. Well he has been rather tired and refuses to compete with all the baby stuff that has suddenly appeared on my needles. I don't think he will hold it against me. I finish what I started unless the gauge is off and well his gauge is not off so he will appear here again.

All the baby projects are a result of 4 women in my life having babies.

The first one was born at the beginning of April the week before Easter. The baby was born 3 weeks early so I had not even started the present. And as a result did not blog about the item, so imagine the baby booties you see today in bright pink and you have the idea.


The second baby will be born at the end of next month. I cast on over a week ago and finished it three days later. It missed FO Friday (It was not finished) and WIP Wednesday (because it was finished). I made a EZ Baby Surprise Jacket. This little number was so fast and so cute. I really wanted funky little buttons but we don't have many options here in Longview. I also knit my standard baby booties.


Pattern: EZ Baby Surprise Jacket from Knitting Workshop
Yarn: Nature Spun sport weight (100% wool) - cream and cranberry fog
Needles: US 5 Crystal Palace Circular
Mods: I made 3 button holes instead of 5.

The third child is to be born to a missionary family that is leaving before the baby is born. The little boy will join 3 other siblings. I hope he thrives well. I picked one project and tried many yarns and finally picked one but realized that I would probably run out of yarn and I was hating the pattern. Plus the gauge was going crazy. So I picked something that would be quick. This project was why there was no WIP Wednesday. I started it and ripped it out by Wednesday. The parts are done and blocked now thus the finishing is all that is left. It took me about a day a piece. I was happy to see that my tension is still good in stranded knitting. I knit with yarn in each hand when I do stranded knitting. It was the way I learned since my first project was a fair isle hat on dpns. (my tension was horrible back then but that was ten years ago).


Pattern: Baby Moccasins in Vogue Knitting Baby Knits Two on the go!
Yarn: Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride Bulky (85% Wool / 15% Mohair) in Brown
Needles: US 10 Brittany dpns
Mods: None. These take 2 hours or less so why change them.

The fourth baby is to be born in September so I have a little more time, but I found the most perfect color yarn that goes with the families love of a favorite team. You need to raise up the fans early right. She reads this blog so I may or may not post the little surprise for her until after it is gifted. I have already made up booties for her back when she told me that she was expecting.


This weekend was my second anniversary with churchable. He took me up to the Kitsap Peninsula so that we could veg out. First part of the trip was to stop at Linda's Knit n Stitch which was at Madrona. She had the most Koigu that I had ever seen at Madrona and had been told by her that she had exclusive rights to Mariner, UW, Seahawks and WSU Lorna's Laces colors. Churchable is a Mariner's fan and graduated from UW so I promised him socks from one of these color lines. At first he was going to go for UW, but upon seeing the colors he choice the Mariner's color.


Then we headed to the Bed & Breakfast Bird's Eye View, which had a great view. It had a great balcony to veg out on. Churchable caught up on his mag reading and I knit happily away on my baby vest. This is the first B & B that we have both liked and want to return to for future times.

After I finish the baby vest, I will be starting Sahara with my Blue Moon Bling.