Friday, April 20, 2007

Weekend Wrap-up

This week has been spent sitting and knitting. Some days I get more done than others. While I sit here knitting, I listen to podcasts about knitting and wish that I was finished with my projects that I promised other people so that I could pull out the graph paper and start charting some really cool lace tank top. Oh well that time will be this summer once all the formals are done and all the baby showers have been thrown. For now I have my constant approving audience that prefers I sit in one spot and knit.

The sweater she is wearing is one that I made for her considering she is too small and long to wear commercially made sweaters. Pretty soon she will be ready for a custom made STR doggie sweater. I am not sure how I will make hers, but I know that I will need to make it so that the yarn can be salvaged when she grows bigger.

We have a finished object. I have been knitting along with the Sexy Knitters Club since the beginning of the year. This is my 3rd sweater with them and my 2nd KAL. This is Rusted Root. I really love the fit and enjoy the look I have here. Here are the stats.

Pattern: Rusted Root by Zephyr Style
Yarn: Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece (80% cotton /20% Merino Wool) 3 skeins in Candy Apple.
Needles: US size 6 circular (unknown maker - an original from before I knew about wood) and US size 5 circular (unknown maker) and dpns (clover) for ribbing on arms and waist. G hook (susan bates, of course) for the neckline.
Mods: Ok here goes. I stuck pretty much to the pattern but took out the puffy sleeves. I really am happy with the lack of puff. I decided since I was making the size down from my chest size that I did not want the ribbing to pull in too much and went up to a size 5 needle for the ribbing. Also the photos of the neckline did not jump out at me as being cohesive to the pattern so I skipped the ribbing and did a single crochet around the neck - going into every stitch on the shoulder sides and into every two out of three stitches on the front and back neck. Also I did not like the look of the p3tog on row 9 of the lace pattern and placed a k3tog instead. I felt this caused the lace to flow more smoothly.

More pictures below:

Last time I mentioned that I had a shrug to make for my sister-in-law Bud. I got to start it Tuesday since I had finished Rusted Root on Monday. The I do shrug has a complicated lace pattern that is different every row. I am using Valley Yarns Southwick (52% Pima Cotton / 48% Bamboo) in Onyx. I am not so excited about this yarn as when I ordered it. The yarn is loosely twisted and thus individual strands snag while knitting. I have the 18 line lace pattern memorized and I am halfway up one side. Hopefully I will get a lot done on it this weekend while I am at a retreat where I get to sit, listen and KNIT.

I am off for the weekend to go to a retreat. On the way there, my friend and I will be doing a yarn shop hop. See ya next week.