Thursday, June 19, 2008

Thursday - Yarn Tastings

Purelife by Rowan

Purelife by Rowan
5.5 sts/inch on US 5s
100% Organic Cotton
131 yards. Color: 984
Purelife on Ravelry

This yarn had such a lovely color that it drew me in while I was knitting with it. I loved that it had this subtle variation in color similar to a kettle dyed yarn. It was really hard to see it in the yellow but I was knitting outside and the sunshine brought out the differences.

Now I might have loved the color but I was not too keen on the knitting experience. The swatch is only 4" by 3 1/2" and in that short time span of knitting it, my hands started to hurt. Not badly but enough to make me wonder if I would enjoy an entire outfit out of this yarn. It was also a bit hard to not split the plies. I never thought I would say that about a yarn but it would start to unwind a bit on the needle and so by the time I was to knit into the stitch the plies would be spread out. It was definitely a mindful knit. Also any variation in your stitches will not block out.

I wish I could keep the colors and have a bit less rough of a yarn. I know that this has great ecological value because it is organic but organic does not need to mean hard and crunchy. Another yarn I used this month was organic and nice on the hands, so I know it can be done.

The resulting material is nice, soft & plump all that you would expect in summery fabric.