Saturday, May 10, 2008

FO Friday - Monkeying around

monkey socks

Pattern: Monkey socks by Cookie A Raveled here
Yarn: Butternut Woolens Super Sock Yarn (this yarn is being discontinued so no extra facts)
Needles: US 2 (2.75mm) knitpicks harmony fixed circular

Mods: I knit a short row heel with the pattern flowing down into the heel. Since I took my FO pics this week, I was unable to get my heel in the picture. I also allowed the pattern to descend into the toe a bit more. I really had fun working the decreases in the toe along with the pattern.

Facts to remember: You might "know" the pattern but do you really. I somehow forgot half the pattern and made the repeat about half as many rows. I kept wondering why the pattern was flowing so fast and stiffly. Then I figured it out and groaned as I ripped out 2 repeats of the first sock. My DPN gauge and magic loop gauge are just a bit off, enough that one sock pooled and the other barber poled. Also I need to remember there is a too tight sock gauge. I first tried this on US 1 (2.5mm) needles and was confused at the cardboard texture. I think it did not help that I was knitting a woolie wool in Houston as the weather begins to heat up. The yarn was more enjoyable to knit once I was back in the NW.

Things I Love: Doing a simple easy pattern that allows me to design while knitting and that flew off my needles when I neglected it so much.

Reaction of the recipient: I don't know yet, but these and a whole mess of packages are being shipped out on Monday.

monkey socks