Monday, August 13, 2007

PDX Blogger Hop: Melissa

Edited to add a different pic and some more info.


Melissa (looking at angels)

I have not officially met Melissa. She was at the Blogger gathering in July but let me tell you it was one packed room. She was on one side and I was on the other. Maybe next time I will get to know her personally. Her Blog Days of Tea and Knitting has recently been all about the spinning of colors. She has great color sense and creates great yarns to knit with. I can't wait to see what she does with the autumn colored yarn. She also knits for Knitpicks.

On to the interview:

1) What is your dream job? If not fiber related, how does fiber play a part?

Colorist for a yarn manufacturer. I used to be a colorist in the printed textile industry and that was really different, but what I imagine MIGHT be a job in the yarn industry would be following color trends and choosing new colors for each new season. I LOVE color.

2) What most influences your knitting?

As I've said on my blog, nature. Textiles in general draw a great deal from motifs found in nature. Most people find patterns in nature to be interesting and soothing.In knitting, I like to take it one step further as so many of the yarns I like are tweedy. I like things that look somewhat organic. Sure, a bright pink modern sweater is great fun, but mostly I'm drawn to muted colors and lots of texture.

3) What is the most interesting thing you have done with a knitting needle?

I think I used one as a gardening tool once. You know, an old, bright orange aluminum one in size 11 from the 60's that lose it's match...